Read information about the most common causes for your symptoms. This tool can help you determine possible actions to take regarding your situation. The site includes possible medical conditions, symptoms, treatments, complications, questions to ask your health care provider, tests and diagnosis, lifestyle and home remedies, alternative approaches and more.
Symptom Checker (Mayo Clinic)
Note: This is not a diagnostic tool; it is not able to incorporate all the personal, health and demographic factors related to you, individually, that would allow a definitive cause or causes to be suggested. A symptom checker can be a great first step in gathering information. The most reliable way to determine the cause of your symptom, and what to do, is to visit your health-care provider. If you are having an emergency call 911.
Here are some logical steps you could take in evaluating your condition.
1. Observe the Problem
- When did it start?
- What are the symptoms?
- Where is the pain? Is it a dull ache or a stabbing pain?
2. Learn More about It
- Use the symptom checker above
- Look up other books or articles
- Get the input of others (lay or professional)
3. Make an Action Plan
- What do you think is wrong?
- What have you decided to do about it?
- Discuss your condition and action plan with your health care provider?
4. Evaluate Your Progress
- Are you getting better or worse?